Friday, January 7, 2022

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1959)


Journey to the Centre of the Earth is a film that was always on TV when I was a kid, but never once had I seen it from start to finish. Now, with the latest technology, you can purchase the film and watch it at your leisure online. For those looking to spend less time online, there are DVDs, like the one I purchased last month at the East Hastings Street Sally Anne.

Pictured above is from the scene when the expedition climbs a dormant volcano in search of the entrance that leads to the Earth's centre. (Sometimes you have to go up to go down.) I like looking at this picture, though its capture had nothing to do with spending more time with it and everything to do with how strangely I felt after eating a portion of the borscht I had made that afternoon. I had simply pressed PAUSE, then stepped outside to get some fresh air.

The closest I can come to describing this feeling is like that of a possession, similar to how I felt the first time I took LSD. Only the transition to LSD's liberation stage showed no signs opening. I was trapped outside myself. Nausea was a welcomed sensation, and I felt better as soon as I vomited. A second, more substantial vomiting had me back at 90%.

Thinking I should tell somebody (in the event I go to bed and not wake up), I phoned my mother, and she asked for a list of the foods I'd eaten that day. When I mentioned cabbage she stopped me. "Was it an old cabbage?" Yes. "Oh god, I went through this with your father once. Carrots and beets are solid foods, and are okay to eat old, but cabbage is more fibrous, a rooms-for-let breeding ground. E. coli, salmonella, etc." 

Anyway, it's behind me now. What's left of the borscht was flushed down the toilet, and the expedition that I was so intent on following now sits atop this post, a reminder of my latest journey to the centre of my self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment