Monday, April 15, 2019


A small room behind a bay window. A single bed, a table and chair, and a sink. I could manage something larger, with more conveniences, but I could never match the view.

My pattern of late is to wake up three-and-a-half hours after turning off my night light. Sometimes my thoughts are stormy and anxious; other times less so. Returning to sleep is to think of nothing.

If I wake up again (with under 90 minutes left in my seven hour minimum), I turn on my bedside radio and doze along with the public broadcaster.

Last week's listening was weird; I had to email the station to ask if a) they had a phone-in competition for tickets to a Herbie Hancock concert for the first caller who could "correctly identify" the Hancock tune they played after announcing the competition, and b) if the morning host had to later tell listeners that the name of the tune ("Canteloupe Island", 1964) is not "Watermelon". And it's true, they did. And yes, the host said this!

1 comment: