Monday, December 31, 2018

A First Verse from The Lost Songs of Christmas



It was felt that it is time to find some lost songs of Christmas. And so, between Xmas and NewYear's, I sat down to write one, invent its discovery -- a page of chords and lyrics typed up on an old typewriter (which I have access to), on some yellowed acidic paper (which I have access to), tucked inside an old Look magazine (which I have in my possession). "Look!" I would say, opening the magazine to where the song lay nestled in the manger of its pages. "The last line of the first verse is right out of [Alexandro Jodorowsky's] The Holy Mountain!" And you might nod, take it further, suggest that "it could have been written by [cast member Kris] Kristofferson." And from there we would talk about (Dennis) Hopper's The Last Movie (1971), the influence Jodorowsky had on him (the editing of Easy Rider, 1969), and drugs, of course, how we used to take them, and how they used to take us on such excellent adventures, long before that adjective became associated with that (plural) noun.


No comments:

Post a Comment